Filmmaker Nikhil Mahajan’s upcoming Marathi movie Godavari is all set to release in theatres from 11 November, after garnering applause and awards internationally.
Starring Jitendra Joshi, Vikram Gokhale, Neena Kulkarni, Gauri Nalawade, Priyadarshan Jadhav and Sanjay Mone, the film is about a man, who has to pass through the river Godavari in Nashik daily, being fed-up of his routine of collecting taxes on behalf of his family.
The trailer and music launch of the film took place yesterday in presence of Maharashtra’s deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis in south Mumbai. “The quality and stature of Marathi films have always been on par with international level,” he said at the event. “I feel Godavari is yet another film to reinforce that. Our relationship with rivers is ancient. Our culture has always been related to rivers. Even in Rigveda there lies a conversation with a river.”
Elaborating on the same, Fadnavis added, “The importance of our rivers has reached us through the conversation our Rishis had with them. But unfortunately during some period in history, we forgot the importance. Hence, our rivers, thoughts, culture and lives got polluted. Amidst such a situation, this movie has come to us.”
Godavari also marks Joshi’s debut as a producer. He said that he has dedicated the film to the late filmmaker and his close friend Nishikant Kamat. Interestingly, Joshi’s character in the film is also named Nishikant.
Highlighting the importance of Godavari, Fadnavis said, “It is our lifeline. Our entire Maharashtra is dependent on Godavari. About 50% of irrigation happens in the state though this river and its tributaries. Therefore, I feel everyone from Maharashtra will relate their lives with this movie. We will be able to rekindle our relation with rivers through this film.”
Fadnavis went much deeper to highlight the condition of the rivers in the state and claimed how his government, both at the state and centre, has taken up the task of reversing their condition.
“Industrial effluents are responsible for only 10% [of pollution in rivers of Maharashtra],” he said. “The remaining 90% has happened due to the infrastructure of the villages not being done properly. We will be taking up this task now. Especially our Prime Minister Narendra Modi ji has already generated funds for this task through Amrut Yojana. It will ensure that in the future gradually all the water from cities and villages will be purified before going into our rivers.”
During last year’s IFFI (International Film Festival of India), Joshi was bestowed upon with the Silver Peacock for Best Actor for Godavari. In the same festival, Mahajan received the special jury award for his direction in the movie.